My name's Maddie, I'm a British student who did a year abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi. August 2011-May 2012.

May-June I'm traveled around a bit

Here is the account I kept of it all, for the memories, my family and the people who get sent here randomly by a search engine. It was often typed quickly so the spelling, structure and grammar isn't always correct (sorry Mum).

To contact, leave a comment.

Friday 9 September 2011

make do

It really feels like I've been here more than the 3 weeks-so-many-days I have.

Last weekend bought Storm Lee. It wasn't as bad as I expected it to be but as I didn't even have a bin bag to shelter under, the walk to get food from the cafeteria drenched me to the bone. The first time I ventured out and arrived to find not much to eat, I nearly went full King Kong.

For the rest of the week it's been lovely blue skies and cool breezes, much like a British summers day! I've seen people wearing fleeces which has made me smile a bit.

When we were trapped inside (not being too over dramatic- we actually were for a couple of tornado warnings) we found ourselves having fun time rainy day activites (because even if you're not allowed to leave the building, there's always something other than school work to do...)

In our corridor a couple of 'Wreaths' have appeared. Magical creations that upon first seeing them made me jump out of my skin, because it was dark, they are so big and look a bit a Disney vortex.



I first assumed these things to be quite traditional and expect the hall to fill up with them, but most people have said it's the first they've ever seen of them and were just as new.

So in the storm, with boredom and wreath inspiration behind us, we created our own door decor.



Just for the record, the placards in the middle are velvet and we coloured them in ourselves.


No comments:

Post a Comment