My name's Maddie, I'm a British student who did a year abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi. August 2011-May 2012.

May-June I'm traveled around a bit

Here is the account I kept of it all, for the memories, my family and the people who get sent here randomly by a search engine. It was often typed quickly so the spelling, structure and grammar isn't always correct (sorry Mum).

To contact, leave a comment.

Wednesday 30 November 2011

Thanksgiving

So last week I spent 5 wonderful days up North celebrating the American holiday of Thanksgiving. I was so glad to get out of Hattiesburg.. don't get me wrong I've had a lot of fun here, but it's a very small town and my assumption that there is little to do without a car in Mississippi has kinda been proved right.

In relevant fashion, I traveled via Train, Plane and Automobile across the country on Wednesday (I realised I actually was in 5 states in one day-MS, Tennessee, Massachusetts, Rhode Island (whilst on train) then arriving to Connecticut)


 I stayed with Alex and Harriet (and a friend of Harriet's) who I knew from childhood. They moved to America several years ago so it was a unique Thanksgiving in that it was mainly non-Americans in the household... JUST LIKE IN THE OLDEN DAYS! We also made headdresses

We had bucks fizz- or 'mimosa' by the American name (which I kept calling osmosis) in the morning. They got up so early to cook the turkey and followed a Delia Smith recipe. It was pretty darn amazing! Definately ate perfectly over these days and my stomach has not enjoyed returning to cafeteria food.

It was really interesting sharing details about college life in the South compared to Boston. A dry campus and visiting hours surprised them and I was surprised to discover Greek Life is pretty much a Southern + California thing. Having spent such an extensive time in one part of the country, it really opened my eyes to how absolutely different the other half is. This sounds obvious but you wouldn't imagine how different the cultures contrast.

Whilst in Connecticut I got to visit my Great Aunt Pauline. She was a GI Bride and moved to America when she was 18. It's a long way to go when you're that young and she still really misses England. It was really lovely to see her and I was surprised to discover she hasn't really lost her accent!


Sunday was spent wandering around Boston where Alex and Harriet live/study. I have really missed being in a City. I don't have the ability to walk around Hattiesburg, it's pretty flat, far from anything and with a slow pace. It was great for 3 months but I have found myself frustrated at how limited I am and really loved walking the streets surrounded by skyscrapers and people. It was a very beautiful city!


It was interesting being somewhere though where my accent was never talked about (in fact, everyone had accents!) Alex worked as a tour guide on a boat over summer so was able to give me a lot of interesting information about the city! I also got to drink tea, eat (non-American produced) Cadbury's and Wagamamas...it was nice to be able to indulge in British goods that I have thoroughly missed whilst exploring a new place.

Above is a video of some of the sites I saw (made using some awkward Ipod app called Videolicious hehe)

I've also added photographs to flickr- which there's now a link to on the side>>>>>

No comments:

Post a Comment