My name's Maddie, I'm a British student who did a year abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi. August 2011-May 2012.

May-June I'm traveled around a bit

Here is the account I kept of it all, for the memories, my family and the people who get sent here randomly by a search engine. It was often typed quickly so the spelling, structure and grammar isn't always correct (sorry Mum).

To contact, leave a comment.

Tuesday 22 November 2011

tidbits


1. I got $25 in dining dollars for taking part in a survey on Eagle Dining. We have spent as lot of time in Starbucks this week as a result. They're playing Christmas music already, which feels even more peculiar because we're all still wearing summer clothes.

2. We're starting to get small town claustrophobia and finding the inability to drive annoying. Up until this semester I have never at any point felt the need to learn to drive in my life and now I feel trapped and tempted to get in a car and see how easy it is. The bus is fine by day but stops running at 5pm. The one taxi firm in Hattiesburg runs sporadically, costs money and the cars smell of homeless people. A lot of people say 'Hey, if ever need a ride just ask' but it's not British to ask and I'm sure many of them are just being polite. I can't believe I'm wishing I could drive! The only thing to this point that has encouraged me is a) the prospect of a zombie outbreak and b)so I can steer around singing Gary Numan- Cars.

3. It's Thanksgiving break so the whole country is off- I'm going to Boston/Connecticut, yeeep! I'm a bit anxious about the cold though.

No comments:

Post a Comment