My name's Maddie, I'm a British student who did a year abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi. August 2011-May 2012.

May-June I'm traveled around a bit

Here is the account I kept of it all, for the memories, my family and the people who get sent here randomly by a search engine. It was often typed quickly so the spelling, structure and grammar isn't always correct (sorry Mum).

To contact, leave a comment.

Thursday 13 October 2011

Trip

Back from the trip this weekend, it was so fun! Had an amazing time.




We stopped off at the B.B King Museum on the way to lunch, which was a pretty emotional place. As a bit of a music nerd, I loved it but I think anyone would appreciate the place, it documents more than just B. B King's rise and influence but the connecting events that have had an impact on life for African Americans and overall was a great reflection of how society has progressed in one persons life.



I ate so much real Southern food. I had fried green tomatoes, alligator, elk, catfish and Mississippi Mud Cake (not all together). Alligator didn't taste of anything much, but then it was deep fried, it had a rubbery consistency and a generic white meat flavour. MS Mud Cake, which I ate at the Ground Zero Blue's Club, was possibly the best dessert I have eaten in my life, and I am not exaggerating. My roommate Sybs got their Fried Brownie slices and said they were equally great. Considering she's French, from a land of fine food, praise from her really is a stamp of approval.





We hung out at Ground Zero Blue's Club, in Clarksdale, also known as Morgan Freeman's club. It was a really awesome place, the band were amazing and as mentioned above, the food was brilliant. The customers over the years have been let loose with marker pens and there's all kinds of graffiti and names tagged across the walls and tables (and unlike scribbles that would be in anywhere in England, they were all clean, fun comments) The co-owner came up and wished us a good time which was really great! He said Trevor McDonald had been filming a documentary there a couple of months ago which I'll have to look out for when I'm back in the UK. He also told me I was a good dancer, which really, I think we can all interpret this as Morgan Freeman supporting my decision to take up a career as a dancer, right?



We stayed in old sharecropper houses.  Probably the most creepy, historic place I have ever gone to sleep- when we arrived we kinda decided how we were all going to be taken down if we were in a horror movie (very suitable location) but when we got back to them at night we were all so tired we collapsed before we had the chance to analyze the likelihood of local serial killers and had a rather fantastic night slumber.







And lastly we stopped off at the Delta. We sat and watched the river flow.

Overall I had an amazing weekend! Really has been amazing, I would recommend seeing anything of the above if you ever have the chance!
I have added photos from the trip to my MY FLICKR

No comments:

Post a Comment