My name's Maddie, I'm a British student who did a year abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi. August 2011-May 2012.

May-June I'm traveled around a bit

Here is the account I kept of it all, for the memories, my family and the people who get sent here randomly by a search engine. It was often typed quickly so the spelling, structure and grammar isn't always correct (sorry Mum).

To contact, leave a comment.

Tuesday 25 October 2011

Homecoming

 I just wanna apologise for the spelling, grammar etc. I write these posts in a rush, you see get off my back parents.

This past weekend was Homecoming which I'm still not exactly sure what is about. It was explained to me as the first game of the season post Fall Break, when all the alumni come back. I maybe wrong.

Anyway there was the parade downtown and the game which was all fun, colourful and very American. The British girls and I that watched couldn't find it inside our English selves to wave back at the students on the float without feeling awkward.

We didn't, however, feel awkward about picking up the bead necklaces and sweets they threw out... YAY FREE STUFF!









The parade started with police men (or cops, getting with the lingo, yo) on motorbikes, revving around and swirling about, then there were these posh convertible cars with the Mr and Mrs Southern Miss/Homecoming queens etc people things on them. I'm not sure who they were exactly, nor their different roles (there were a few) but they were all dressed in ball gowns and suits and for the past month you got bombarded all around campus asking if you'd voted and I think they win scholarships and prestige.

I really should research this stuff more before I write about it.

Mid time at the Football game they had a big presentation for them. There was also a dance by the Dixie Darlings past and present, it featured many alumni from the past few decades and even one lady from their establishing year- 1954 (!)- was up there shaking her thing!

Anyway the parade was really impressive and full of school spirit. Living here does make you realise how very reserved Britain is.

Next weekend is Halloween, which I am very excited about. I love it and am so happy to be in a country that will overdo the heck out of it. It appears to be starting Thursday (at least that's when the first party commences) so I'm going to have to sort out my outfits asap.

No comments:

Post a Comment