My name's Maddie, I'm a British student who did a year abroad at the University of Southern Mississippi. August 2011-May 2012.

May-June I'm traveled around a bit

Here is the account I kept of it all, for the memories, my family and the people who get sent here randomly by a search engine. It was often typed quickly so the spelling, structure and grammar isn't always correct (sorry Mum).

To contact, leave a comment.

Wednesday 19 October 2011

Fall Break

This week has been a lot of fun. I've done no work but it's been A GAS. We made friendship bracelets, I cut my room mates hair,

Everyone had Thursday and Friday off this weekend for Fall Break, rather than take a trip somewhere we thought we would explore Hattiesburg some more. Since arriving 6 weeks ago, we had only been Downtown once so we decided to change that.

Wednesday we went on a random adventure and wandered about. We found an antiques mall- Calico Mall, opposite Hattiesburg Amtrak station- full of strange and exciting things...


There was also a vintage clothing section downstairs which has some interesting bits and bobs...



...it's by the same people that run Polly Esther's Vintage Clothing Store which is on the highway right next to college and has possibly the best vintage clothing to be found anywhere! Lots of bargains and pretty items- a lot better than the above.

On Thursday we went to the House of 1000 Psycho's on East Pine Street. It was very creepy and good prep for Halloween (which I'm am very much looking forward to), there was a lovely warning before we went in that the weapons were real and we had to sign a legal waiver to enter (BET YOU'RE HAPPY TO HEAR THAT MUM?)

(The waiting lobby)

On Friday we took the bus downtown. It costs 50 cents a journey, which is roughly 30p! A child's fair in England is probably more than double that. But it does host a strange crowd, including a man that looked like the evil dude from Ghostbusters (who looked into my eyes and I'm pretty sure took out my soul) and a lot of people wearing T-Shirts that preached the apocalypse. We went to the African-American Military Museum and ate at the first place we had BBQ on our first visit ever downtown (2 months ago now) it was called The Shed but is now called the Bottling Company, which confused us.

There was also a music event in the park



Then we went to a monster making event at Southern Fried Comics, a comic book shop downtown. SO MUCH FUN! I started painting mine very ordinarily until I looked around and realised it was pretty boring, then realised I wanted to make an Elvis Presley...but alas, it was too late as Elvis never wore orange and I'd already started slapping the paint on, so I decided on the next best thing: an Elvis obsessed Clarence, played by Christian Slater, from the movie True Romance



Then we went to a pub called the Keg and Barrel, then we went around a few of the bars downtown.

Saturday and Sunday... I'm not sure what we did but we had FUN

No comments:

Post a Comment